Thursday, October 20, 2016

Blog Post 3

Andrea Albaugh
M.Schroeder
English 101
10/20/16
Blog Post 3
  Fish Cheeks Summary and Main Point
                 In the article "Fish Cheeks" Amy Tan explains a previous experience from when she was 14 that taught her great life lesson. When her family invited over a minister's family for their Christmas eve dinner she was devastated. She had a crush on the son of the minister and the thought of an American family joining her Chinese family for dinner was not appealing for her. She was embarrassed the whole night. She didn't want him associating her to this food and her humiliating family.  This article's purpose was to not be ashamed of your culture or who you are no matter how different it may be.

Superman and me
             Sherman Alexie, the author of this article writes about his childhood as an Indian boy. He explains his fathers love of books and how that passion for books got passed down to him. He read as many books and passages of writing as possible. Being Indian at their school meant you weren't as fast paced as the non-Indians and that you weren't as smart. Sherman wanted to prove them wrong. He was intelligent and he passed this on to the new generations of kids going to school. This article shows the racism the world still holds no matter how much we hate to admit. The Indians would except this ranking they'd be born in and not fight against it but in this article Sherman Alexie does.

For my essay I chose to write about Superman and me. The meaning of it grabs my attention more and shows what kind of world we live in today. It reminds me of years ago how people are born into rankings based on your family and there wasn't much movement of the rankings. The Indians are put down more and expected to not be as intelligent. But I like how Sherman Alexie fights against that thought.

Commented on:
Kaylin
Jordan



4 comments:

  1. I like that you try to show that the world is still racist even if choose to ignore it. Too many people live in denial that 21st century America is still racist at times. I think that you did a good job summarizing both articles. You captured the main essence of them without going into too much detail. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a great job summarizing both articles. I also chose superman and me, because in my opinion it is easier to identify with. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your reasoning for which essay you picked. It makes a lot of sense and is relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice summaries of each essay. I am pretty fond of Alexie, myself. I really enjoy his works and his view of the American Indian, life on the reservation, and his sense of humor really captivate me. He's a brilliant writer. I look forward to reading your essay.

    ReplyDelete